Most every school in the western U.S. is out for the summer, including my kid’s school (YEAH!). That usually means some type of vacation or trip. As we turn our attention away from driving carpool and towards lounging by the pool, packing the right clothing is paramount to enjoying your vacation to the fullest. I’ve done other posts on packing tips and you can read them here, here and here.
What I want to share are some more specific tips for people that are already seasoned travelers , but want to take it to the next level.
1. Carry-on is the only way to go! This bears repeating, as anyone who checks these days is just asking for trouble! You can fit everything you need in a carry on. One of the things I love most about travel is the adventure of it and the ability to wander unencumbered. One caveat to the carry on is if you are traveling for an extended period like the entire summer and really need more than a week or two worth of clothes.
2. What about workout clothes/ sneakers? What always puts me over the edge while packing is the fact that I need to include clothing for running or working out. Sneakers specifically, take up a lot of room in my carry on. My solution? I just bought a pair of Nike Free sneakers. Mine are more for running and cross training. I’m not going to wear them to run a marathon, but for vacation workouts or hiking, they’re PERFECT! They are feather light, mashable and they come in fun colors. I also pack light performance fabric clothing for workouts and roll them to fill in gaps in the suitcase.
3. One of the hardest parts of packing is limiting your color palette. I always choose between taking neutrals; khaki, brown, gold, rust, orange, coral OR, I take black, white, red, teal, yellow and jewel/primary tones. By doing this you automatically cut down on the shoes you need to bring and increase your ability to mix and match. I am going on a tropical vacation in a few days, so I am sticking with warm neutrals. I am taking 4 pairs of shoes: Nike Frees, bronze flat sandals, brown/gold flip flops and a cinnamon colored wedge with natural jute bottom. Making sure that everything works together, gives you a ton of outfit possibilities and keeps you from over-packing!
3. If you LOVE to have music on your vacation, but don’t want to pack a lot of adaptors or hope the hotel has some kind of player, a Bluetooth wireless mini speaker is the way to go. I just invested in the UE mini boom a by Logitech and I love it. It has great sound for such a small speaker and it is so portable. It is perfect for the beach, tailgate party or in your hotel room. It has a 10 hour rechargeable battery and an added plus is it’s conference call capability… NOT that I recommend taking conference calls while on vacation.
4. In addition to your carry on suitcase, your personal item also has to work double or triple duty. I like to have a tote bag that I can also use as a beach or day bag for sightseeing. I really like the foldable ‘Le Pliage’ tote by Longchamp in the medium size. It comes in tons of colors, folds up really small and is made of a water resistant nylon material. It can be wiped off with a damp cloth, is sturdy and fits a ton of stuff.
5. Dresses are your best friend while traveling! There is no need to match tops to bottoms and many dresses can also be used as a bathing suit cover up. They can be dressed down with a jean jacket and flats and dressed up with a colorful wrap and heels. I love maxis for beach locations and knee length dresses for cities.
I know packing is an art form and everyone has their own little tricks and tips. One of my favorite things to do for my clients is to help them pack for a trip. If you have trouble narrowing down what you want to pack, call me! I can help you put together a vacation wardrobe that fits your itinerary and makes packing for your vacation effortless.
As for me, I am heading to Costa Rica with my husband for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. I’d love to know what far flung places you’re traveling to this summer and what packing tips have served you well… Bon voyage and safe travels wherever you may go!